Once known as the “ten-minute talk,” the featured presentation doesn’t always last ten minutes: as chapters grow, the time allowed gets shorter. No matter the length, however, there are some important keys to showcasing your business in front of your fellow BNI members.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare. Make an outline or some note cards. Practice. You will not do better if you wing it. Dr. Misner puts in 40 hours preparing to give a one-hour talk. Choreograph it.
- Be specific and talk about the things you know best. You don’t have to tell the audience everything, but pick a specific example.
- Use handouts, visuals, props, or slides. Look at the book Presentation Zen for inspiration.
- Remember, you’re the expert. It’s your field and your opportunity to shine.
- Be creative. Find a way to communicate that makes you comfortable.
- It’s okay to be nervous.
Brought to you by Networking Now.