After Dr. Misner shared about his diagnosis with prostate cancer in Episode 336, many BNI members asked how he had handled telling his business associates about it.
Some people wanted to know why he went public with the news, but in a word-of-mouth organization, people talk. It was important to Dr. Misner to help guide the conversation. Here are some suggestions for effective transparency when things go wrong.
- Have a communication plan in place.
- Decide how you’re going to address the problem.
- Create a hierarchy of who you’re going to tell and when.
- Check off each group as you go inform them.
- Ask for help. You may not need someone to take over for you, but you probably need assistance.
- Don’t worry about how your competition will react. Focus on improving your business every day.
- Provide regular updates.
In the almost 3 years since Dr. Misner made his announcement, BNI has grown by more than 21%. Transparency is good for your bottom line as long as you have a good communication plan.
Brought to you by Networking Now.