When you’re generating referrals for your business, you want to spend less time with the networking frogs and more time with the princes and princesses. And you want to be a prince(ss) rather than a frog, too.
So how do you find like-minded referral partners and avoid the networking amphibians? Here are a few indications that you might be kissing a frog:
- They’re always asking you for referrals, but don’t reciprocate.
- They don’t make the time to find out about your business (e.g. GAINS Exchange)
- They take forever to return phone calls and emails.
- They rarely go out of their way to help you.
- They talk excessively about themselves and their businesses and don’t ask questions.
- They move from person to person at networking events, handing out cards and not making connections.
- You feel a little slimy after interacting with them.
So how do you identify the princess and princesses?
- They’re always willing to make referrals.
- They introduce you to their referral partners.
- They go out of their way to help you with your business.
- They make the time to learn about you and your business.
- They listen actively when you talk to them.
- They share information gladly.
- They follow up on referrals and return calls and emails.
- They greet everyone with a smile and make introductions at networking events.
You might also be interested in Episode 389: Kissing Frogs.
Brought to you by Networking Now.