This is a rebroadcast of Episode 83.
Dr. Misner recorded this episode from the International Directors’ Conference for BNI in Long Beach, California. It’s almost like being at a UN meeting: at least 39 countries are represented. All BNI members are welcome to attend.
Here are some questions you can ask when you’re meeting someone for the first time. Remember not to do this as an interrogation. Your goal is to get people to open up.
- What do you do? How does that work?
- Who’s in your target market?
- What do you like most about what you do?
- What’s new in your industry?
- What sets you apart from your competition?
- Why did you start your business?
- Where is your business located?
- What’s your most popular product or service?
- How do you generate most of your business?
- What’s a good referral for you?
- What’s the biggest challenge for you in your business?
Suggested reading: Bob Burg’s Endless Referrals.