A lot of us pay more attention to tracking our recreational activities than to building our business. People who are successful keep track of their business activities. The Networking Scorecard is a tool for keeping track of the things you do in the course of your week to build the effectiveness of your referral network.
Here are some of the activities the scorecard tracks. You get points for each activity.
- Sending thank-you cards or gifts
- Calling a referral source
- Arranging a one-to-one meeting
- Attending networking events
- Bringing someone with you to a networking event
- Setting up an activity with multiple referral sources
- Sharing or sending out an article of interest
- Displaying another person’s brochure in your office
- Sharing something a connection posts on social media
- Arranging a speaking engagement
- Giving a referral
You can also add your own activities and assign points to them.
The Networking Scorecard gives you a baseline of what it takes to get the amount of business you need. Your target should be to get 75-100 points every week.
You can find Dr. Misner’s Networking Scorecard on page 259 in the second edition of Networking Like a Pro. You don’t have to re-create this as an Excel spreadsheet, though: you can download a free app for your smartphone from Dr. Misner’s blog.
Share your experience using the app, and any suggestions for additions to it, in the comments.
Brought to you by the Networking for Success Channel on YouTube.