This week, Priscilla Rice interviews Dr. Ivan Misner about being out of line online. After receiving a completely inappropriate message from a stranger attacking a new member of one of the online networks he belongs to, Dr. Misner wrote an impassioned blog post and got 43 comments. Here are some highlights.
- The impersonal nature of online communications sometimes leads people to behave in ways they could never get away with in person!
- Even though you may feel very powerful because you can say things in e-mail and send it out to many people it doesn’t mean that you should or that it’s appropriate to do so!
- If this individual behaved like this at an “in-person” meeting, he’d likely be thrown out!
- Don’t tolerate this kind of behavior, online or off.
- Always consider the source when you encounter this kind of character assassination.
Read Dr. Misner’s blog post about being Out of Line–Online!.
Listen to Priscilla Rice’s interview with Dr. Misner on Priscilla’s Podcast.
Brought to you by Networking Now.