Not all networking is about referrals. Sometimes networking is about sharing knowledge. Of course BNI can be a knowledge network, but your “think tank” can go beyond BNI. To create a knowledge network, surround yourself with these groups of people:
- People like you. They’re not the best source of referrals, but they’ll help you learn your trade.
- People who used to be in your profession.
- Authors and experts (e.g. bloggers).
- Trainers and consultants.
- Members of professional organizations. (Not necessarily the same profession you’re in.)
- Regulators. They’re a great source of information, especially about pitfalls.
BNI is working on a new online social network, BNI Connect, to help create knowledge networks within BNI.
Brought to you by Networking Now.