Dr. Misner is recording this podcast early because he’s going on Safari in Africa this week.
Here are some suggestions on how to use social media effectively.
- If you have a social media expert in your chapter, talk to them.
- Schedule your time with social media and make it part of a strategy.
- Find the right social media for you. Facebook is not the only network.
- Respond to comments. Retweet. Social media is a dialog.
- Use non-productive time (when you don’t usually work) for online networking.
- Use tools like Ping.fm, HootSuite, and Seesmic to save time.
- Remember that V/C/P still applies. Building relationships on social media takes time.
Here are five common mistakes businesses make on social media:
- Spending too much time on sites you enjoy without evaluating their value to you.
- Visiting a site for work and getting distracted by interesting posts.
- Not recognizing when it’s time to delegate certain social media responsibilities.
- Not providing consistent fresh content on your blog.
- Forgetting that social media is about engaging in a conversation, not about selling.
Brought to you by Ask Ivan Misner.